Sunday, June 25, 2017

Cannes Lions day 7

Friday was a bit of an adjustment. Going into Tuesday's hustle and bustle was a bit of a shock for me; however, I am now inclined to say that going from a crazy busy Thursday to a quiet, calm environment on Friday was even more shocking.  A lot of festival goers had either gone back home or were hungover from the parties the night before; while the the lessened population was a shock, it was also a bit of a pleasant surprise.

The first talk I went to, which actually turned out to be one of my favorite talks all week, featured Maurice Levy of Publicis interviewing Christine LaGarde, who is a lawyer-turned-managing director of the International Monetary Fund.  As the first female managing director of the IMF, LaGarde described the hardships that came with her newfound position.  "It's very difficult for a woman to be taken seriously in a management position," she recounted.  One of the best answers that she gave was when Levy asked how she came about being unanimously voted into her position the first time around.  LaGarde shook her head and laughed, and then went on to say that it was because men don't want the power when things are going poorly.  Her resilience and positive outlook on tough situations are inspirational to me, and I will be sure to take her advice to heart if my abilities are ever doubted simply because I'm a woman.  I will say that I got a bit bored when the conversation turned to financial policies and such, but I guess that's why I'm not a finance major.

The other interesting talk that I went to today was by none other than Burger King, the Cannes Lions Creative Marketer of the Year.  The talk was titled "How to Suck Less as a Client" and featured a performance by the two Burger King mascots.  The talk was extremely fun and kept me awake, but I think that it was also pretty unorganized.  As I look over my notes on this talk, it seems as if the subject changed multiple times.  I personally would have enjoyed a seminar in which Burger King showcased some of their most creative pieces of advertising and explained the thought process that went into them.  Instead, they simply gave random pieces of advice and facts that didn't really flow in an organized way, which is not the way my mind works.

I'm starting to notice that the festival is wrapping up, and I'd be lying if I said that I'm not sad about it.  However, I am still excited to have one day left to experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Country Assignment - United Kingdom

Throughout our time at the festival, we observed many things about the agencies that represented the United Kingdom.  adam&eveDDB, Saat...