Sunday, June 25, 2017

Cannes Lions day 6

Thursday was by far one of my favorite days at the festival! Nearly every session that I went to was extremely interesting to me, evident in my pages and pages worth of notes from each one. 

The first session I went to was the Facebook Blueprint workshop. Facebook Blueprint is essentially a free program through Facebook that allows advertisers to customize and preview video ads in all of the formats that Facebook has to offer. MJ Cos, the head of marketing for Blueprint, gave us an in depth teaching of every video advertisement format that can be used through Facebook and Instagram, including which were most compatible on certain devices and which have proven to be most effective with consumers. The talk was extremely informative as I had no idea just how much the game is changing in the world of advertising on social media, specifically with vertical video formats. MJ shared statistics surrounding vertical advertisements versus horizontal ones of mobile phones that stunned me. I will absolutely be referring back to my notes on this topic in the future. 

The next talk I went to was given by Mattel, discussing how branding and advertising for Barbie has changed and improved over the years thanks to social media. The talk began with a showing of a recent Barbie commercial produced by BBDO entitled "You Can Be Anything," and the CMO of Mattel explained afterwards that the commercial was released to get back to the core theme of inspiring young girls to pursue their dreams. As most know, Barbie's brand has not always garnered the best reputation, specifically in relation to the unrealistic dimensions of the doll's body itself.  Catherine Balsam-Schwaber, Chief Content Officer for the company, also dove into the ways that the company is expanding Barbie's brand to as many platforms as possible, including YouTube ("Barbie Vlogger"), Netflix (Barbie Dreamville show), and even allowing clothing brands to create Barbie versions of their products (Barbie sized Ugg boots, etc.).  Honestly, I was a lot more interested in this talk than I thought I'd be; I particularly liked how Mattel incorporated body diversity after so many years of receiving backlash for Barbie's physique.  It shows that even a company that used to have such antiquated values can change the path of their product to better suit the changing world around us.

The final talk I went to today was centered around Tomorrowland, a mega-music festival in the heart of Belgiu.  Each year, hundreds of thousands of people flock to the "king of all music festivals," and we were lucky enough to hear its founder, Michael Beers, give an in depth overview of how exactly his team can make such a large scale production work so seamlessly.  I enjoyed this session because it truly describes how such a monster of an event can turn out wonderfully if it is planned correctly and precisely; as Beers stated again and again, the devil is in the details, and he works year round to make sure that every single detail of the three day festival is crafted to perfection.  I am personally very interested in the promotional event planning side of marketing, and hearing this talk motivated me to put forth the utmost effort in anything that I plan or do in the future.

Overall, this day was a whirlwind of learning and extremely interesting discussions.  Although I'm sad that the festival is about to start winding down, I'm still excited to see what the next two days will be like, especially because the specialty areas, (Health, Innovation, and Entertainment) have come to a close.  What themes will be present now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Country Assignment - United Kingdom

Throughout our time at the festival, we observed many things about the agencies that represented the United Kingdom.  adam&eveDDB, Saat...